Thursday, March 5, 2015

A piece of me. Hi.

“Tell me about yourself.” Oh God, please no.  Whether it be in school, at a new job, or just in conversation- those words give me instant anxiety.  I dropped out of a class in college once because I had to do a presentation based on yours truly.  One thing I do know is that there is no Erin without Danny.  Or maybe there is, but I just haven't found her yet.  Which brings me to my inspiration for this blog(among many other things)-my husband, and the journey I am faced with...without him. 
My husband, the person who made me "me" gave his life defending our country.  14 months ago, shortly after turning 27, I became a widow.   I still have not gotten over the urge to want to throw up after using that word.  It’s like I have to force it through my clenched teeth.  I never thought I would be a widow, ever.  Who does?  And at 27?  Hell. No.  I'm not looking for pity or sympathy, nor do I want my life viewed as a sob story.  I hope that in sharing my story, our story, there is opportunity for growth.  
This past year has been a whirlwind and roller-coaster of emotions.  I have been presented with a big, sucky, muddy, ugly, mountainous bump in my life's road.  "Where do I go from here?"  "What am I supposed to do now?"  Questions I've asked myself a million times, that really have no answers except one: Climb that bitch. (sorry) 
Our last picture taken together before he left for Afghanistan. 

My hubby, Sgt Daniel (Danny) Vasselian

2 comments:

  1. You are on an impossibly difficult journey to say the least. However, the things you are doing as you make your way down this new path are selfless and inspirational to those of us watching! Choosing to help others make their way as you are still figuring out yours takes enormous strength and composure and speaking for myself, you are doing a damn fine job of that! This is a great way to remember where you have been and let it steer you where you are going. Keep up all the great things you do every day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you really are climbing!! Seriously. Proud of you every day girl! Xoxox!!!

    ReplyDelete